Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Taj Mahal





I just went to the Taj Mahal this weekend and the trip was spectacular. It was easily the best mahal I have seen in a long time. The place reminds me of my friend Austin Lee because despite its largeness it is the gleaming whiteness of it that is so amazing. Now the Taj may be made of countless tons of pristine marble tirelessly fixated to create the nations most recognizable attraction but Austin is from Idaho, and that is just about as white as it gets.






To get there you do not just step off a plane. It is a 4 hr car ride from Delhi to show up and doing that each way brought me through more of India than I have seen my whole time here. Once again, to get to the majestic here you pass an ocean of the desperate. The drive was mostly on a straight 6 lane highway that reminded me of the highway during the Gulf War that contained hundreds of burned vehicles rushing out of Kuwait. This was no war zone, it just seemed similar because the area alongside was rather desolate and even when full of people just looked very impoverished.

No comments: